Saturday, April 24, 2010

I want to be rich.

I can't lie to you, I want an easy life. Nice house, car, money in the bank...health. No inconveniences. The problem is that my life couldn't be farther from this at the moment. Everything is uncertain except the love of God and my family. As much as I tell myself, "it doesn't matter", I am surrounded by American abundance. Almost calling out to me..."You should have this, if you were successful...you would have this...just look at the TV preachers!" In truth, I know where my affections should be placed. Not on the things of this world. But it's hard isn't?

I listened to Rich Mullins deliver a powerful thought amidst a concert he did just before his death years ago. The truth contained therein cemented for me, once again, that riches are not the marks of God's blessings. I must struggle against this wrong thought. I want to share a quote from Rich Mullins. Chew on it for yourself.

"Jesus said, whatever you do to the least of these my brothers you’ve done it to me. And this is what I’ve come to think. That if I want to identify fully with Jesus Christ, who I claim to be my savior and Lord, the best way that I can do that is to identify with the poor. This I know will go against the teachings of all the popular evangelical preachers. But they’re just wrong. They’re not bad, they’re just wrong. Christianity is not about building an absolutely secure little niche in the world where you can live with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in a beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you. Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved and Jesus loved the poor and Jesus loved the broken..."

I think Rich was right. I think he got it on a level that I am just getting. I don't think he feared much in this life because he held so loosely to the things of this life. I want to be like, Rich.

john

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff...and makes me miss him all over again. His words are humbling and convicting and so good. Oh to be more like him...and more like Jesus.

    Love, Me

    ReplyDelete