Tuesday, July 13, 2010

cost.

I have been asking myself, "Would I follow Jesus if it cost me everything?"

I'd like to think I would answer, "yes." But after a year of feeling some major discomfort and loss, I know that I am not eager to lose "it" all. I think that "it" is everything we have made of our lives in America.

For the record, my humanity doesn't want to be bothered. I want a comfortable, blessed, every weekend free, air-conditioned and new car life. Major problem, it doesn't seem to be going that way! Wait, is it really a problem or just a conflict of interest? Maybe I am not supposed to want so much from this life. But honestly, I do.

However, I am suspicious that the more intently I follow Christ, the more distant my affections grow towards the things of our culture and world. I have a decision to make. Do I want to follow Jesus? I mean really follow.

If my answer is truly, "yes" than I must be prepared. Jesus may ask me to do things that have little to do with my personal happiness and comfort. In fact, I am quite certain He will invite me to walk on the water and risk everything.

This month I embarked on a new mission, to serve as a member of staff of World Hope International. By definition, my job will require that I think far beyond my comfort zones and look into the eyes of those I have only the fact we are human as a common denominator. I have never known the level of poverty of those we serve. It feels uncomfortable. I have no other way to express it. It costs.

I'd invite you to visit www.worldhope.org and see if you might find a way to join me on this new journey.

many thanks,
john

2 comments:

  1. walking the road with you....

    I love you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John

    I remember when I asked God to teach me to love like He loves and He told me it would cost me everything. That scared me but I don't believe I have a choice if I'm going to grow in the character of Christ. Let me say it does but you find out what you give up becomes not important but what you receive is so much more than what you give up. It's like giving up nothing to receive everything. It's so worth it. I pray for God's blessing on your journey.

    In Christ
    Beth Meyers

    ReplyDelete