Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Power of Words


I know that "actions speak louder than words." However, words have inherent power. I marvel at their strength. Words have moved me to laughter, tears and deep thought. Words are indeed life (or death).

To this day there are some words that have been spoken to me that still can carry a sting when I recall them. Conversely, there are moments when another human being has offered such kindness through what they said that in the remembering of what was spoken, I am heartened all over again. It makes me wonder if once we speak a word it somehow becomes eternal.

I truthfully know a good many things I have said that I would give anything to recover and keep forever from departing my lips. It is a painful realization to know I have uttered something to a fellow brother or sister that may have been lethal. For this, I ask the forgiveness of Christ Jesus and I am grateful for having a Savior who forgives my sins.

Proverbs 18:21 (The Message) says, "Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose."

I want to share a web site with you that contains some gentle words of life. Words that are medicine...they are the very thoughts of my dearest friend and my wife, Lori.

Just a few short months ago, Lori was diagnosed with breast cancer. We set up a CaringBridge web site to help friends and family stay up-to-date with her journey. Initially it was to convey medical updates; however, it has quickly become a source of life for many who read her thoughts.

Cancer is not thought of as a life giver but a "taker." Well in Lori's case, it unearthed an eruption of life in the form of written words. Still waters truly run deep and Lori has a voice and insight into many things. I am grateful for her and want with with all my heart for us to have many more years together. Her words have become more important than I could have ever imagined. I wish to share them with you.

You can visit her CaringBridge site here: www.caringbridge.org/visit/loriallison for a taste of something good.

sincerely,
john

No comments:

Post a Comment