Tuesday, August 18, 2009

True Friends

August 18, 2009

"For the purpose of this discussion, I’m defining a friend as someone who is with you. They’re with you in times of success, and much more profoundly, in times of defeat. They know the real you, and they like you anyway.

You can’t really run them off. And when you show them a weakness, it only causes them to respect and support you more. It’s a connection that defies logic and enables immense security." ~Steven Furtik

I read this and was struck by it's truth. How much energy is spent in our lives hiding? Hiding because we fear if anyone knew the real us, they would bolt! It is clear to me that people can't handle too much of who we really are. Hence, we guard ourselves vigilantly. However, with friends we can simply BE. They accept us, love us and want to hear it all. THANK GOD for TRUE FRIENDS.

May I be a true friend to others. I am GRATEFUL for my true friends. You know who you are. Perhaps we should spend less time trying to impress others and more time befriending. Less time attempting to be what we are not and accept who we are. In the end, those who surround the real us will be real friends. But what do I know?

your friend,
john

No comments:

Post a Comment