Monday, September 21, 2009

Dependent

Have you ever been in a place of complete dependence on another for the ability to get through a day? Perhaps an illness that required someone else to look after your most basic needs? If so, you'll understand what I am about to say.

In my humanity, I prefer self-reliance. I want to take care of things myself thank you. You know, the "I can fix it" routine. Bottom line...it's pride!

God is leading our family through a time when we are learning what it means to count on Him each day for our daily bread. No kidding! Honest. I mean we are in a place of complete dependence on Him. Don't get me wrong, I am doing all I can do in this situation. However, my efforts are not sufficient. As I yield to this lesson, people arrive at our door, letters come in the mail, provision materializes at every corner. God is taking care of us. I am stunned.

Guess what else I am learning? God is real. You laugh. Absurd? However, aren't you like me and haven't you asked that question: "Is God real?" Even if we are "believers" I think we all have that thought in times of testing. Intellect demands proof, belief in God demands faith.

God is driving home His word to me in this hour. In particular, Matthew 6:4 which states: "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." ~The Message.

He has my attention and my complete dependence on Him. I am guessing there will come a day when I am "feeling my oats" and the press isn't so great. This I know, I don't want to go back to self-reliance. I feel His nearness to our family, His help amidst our trouble, His power in our weakness. This dependence thing ain't for sissies! You must be brave, courageous and have the guts to trust God for everything. EVERYTHING? Yes, everything....echo echo echo.

dependent,
john

No comments:

Post a Comment