Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Dog's Life


It's been estimated that a dog's sense of smell is somewhere between 1,000 to 10,000 times better than humans. I think that's why they love to have their head out the window when riding in the car. Those smells coming into their snoot at 55mph must create quite a rush! Turbo sniffing!!!

Our dog Sam is no exception. He has an absolute passion about riding in the car. I snapped this shot of him this morning as we blasted down the road. I could only admire the thrill he was experiencing. I tried it...it only made my eyes water!

What if we all approached life like Sam does the opportunity to thrust his muzzle into the wind? Eager, passionate and ready to take it all in! I confess, I have missed my share of opportunities to "stop to smell the roses!" Or in Sam's case, hyper smell!

I have heard it said that dogs live in the moment. Yesterday and tomorrow have little relevance. they live in the now, baby! I am learning to do this deeply. Forget the past, don't worry about tomorrow but seize this day. Live it. LIVE. I just know there is a lot more to "smell than meets the eye" in this life. It's all a matter of our choosing. I say we put the windows down and go for all the day has to offer. Rain or shine. Like Sam, with gusto.

"Wake up from your sleep, Climb out of your coffins; Christ will show you the light! So watch your step. Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times!" ~Ephesians 5:16, The Message

life's a ruff!
john

1 comment:

  1. Hey John - trying to figure out how you snapped this picture. Were you driving? (hoping not) In any case, it's a good one and so is this entry. Thanks for sharing and inspiring. It's not the first time...

    ReplyDelete