Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Night is Light

Then I said to myself, "Oh, he even sees me in the dark! At night I'm immersed in the light!" ~Psalm 139:11 The Message

When trouble comes, the night really can be disconcerting. However, with God there is no darkness. Psalm 139 goes on to say "the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."

I am learning to trust God in the night. Why? Because I am learning He is with me always. Though swallowed up by the clouds, He brings comfort and assurance. Cliches? I think not. This is very real to me in an hour of great trial. I speak the truth. God is proving to me that in Him there is no darkness or trouble.

Tonight on a brief walk with my son, I made the statement that we "need a miracle." My 10 year old calmly responded, "What trouble are we in?" I said, "Are you serious?" In my mind I am thinking of all that is before our family, in particular, a battle with a serious health issue that Lori (my dear wife and amazing mother of our children) is facing. It took this old brain a second to realize what he was saying. He reminded me that "God was taking care of us." He was reminding me that the darkness was outstripped by the light of God. Therefore, there is no trouble. I felt this amazing calm. I felt God speaking through this young boy in such a way that I had to pay attention. I am grateful for a child's uncluttered communication with Father God.

In the darkness tonight, I am reminded that God is shining brightly and caring for all that I cannot carry on my own. He cares for you too.

in the light.
john

No comments:

Post a Comment