Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Curveball

We plan for a smooth life and then hope nothing affects it. However, inevitably the curveball comes! Something disrupts life. If you are like me, it can be interpreted as a negative. Don't you
agree? But here's something I just learned about a curveball. It's a dangerous pitch to throw.

Apparently there is increased topspin on the ball so if a batter hits the ball well, it will gain backspin thus giving it much increased distance. My translation: The pitch is an attempt to "do you in" as a batter. To strike you out! But if you handle it right....home run!

So your life just got thrown a curveball? Strike out? I think not. That which seemingly has been handed to you to throw you off has the potential to propel you farther than imagined. This curveball may well be a blessing in disguise that will, in turn, not only help you but others around you.

The book of Genesis puts it this way, "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." Genesis 50:20 (NIV)

I wish I could convey the curveballs that have been thrown at our family these past three months. I confess there were moments that I wanted to give in to fear and doubt and accept the malicious pitch as the end of the road sending me back to the dugout. But here's what I am learning.

Myself and my family have been leaning into God. We are finding strength and proving our faith. These curveballs are pushing us forward in God at an incalculable rate! Shocking! That which I thought was our undoing, I see God working good in the midst of it all. I am grateful and more convinced than ever that God is near those who seek Him.

batter up!
john

1 comment:

  1. Here's to some major backspin and home runs!!

    Love you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete